How To Upcycle Your Christmas Hamper
Ever wondered if there is a way to make your white Christmas a little greener? As magical as Christmas is, it can lead to a serious amount of waste. From the piles of wrapping paper on the floor on Christmas Day to discarded packaging, it would be nice to think that we could still enjoy our Christmas treats without having to throw so much away.
Hampers offer a thoughtful, endlessly customisable Christmas gift alternative. Whatever age you are, there’s something magical about opening up a hamper to see what’s inside. You can relive the magic of a Christmas stocking, but without quite so much wrapping paper to throw away after.
Best of all, you can choose exactly what goes into the hamper, meaning that you can make the hamper very personal to the tastes of the recipient whilst also making responsible choices about what you select to go in.
If you’re lucky enough to receive a hamper, you can reuse and recycle the contents into useful and beautiful things. We’ve put together a few ideas to get you started on your upcycling adventure…
Turn your wicker basket into a planter
Wicker hampers can be used afterwards as a planter. Celebrate the end of Christmas by preparing for the joys of spring!
- Staple a plastic bag to the inside of the wicker basket.
- Poke holes in the bag for drainage.
- Add soil to the basket.
- Plant your flowers.
- Watch them bloom. Don’t forget to add water!
Make your home smell inviting with an empty jar
If your Christmas hamper includes a jar of festive chutney, you can always reuse the empty jar. With a few simple modifications, you can upcycle yourself a scented lantern:
- Clean out your used jar and dry it.
- Crush up some cinnamon sticks and place in the bottom of the jar.
- Place a vanilla scented tea light on top.
- Light the wick and enjoy your DIY aromatherapy.
Turn your fabric bag into a decorated gift pouch
Lots of gifts come in a little fabric bag – whether it’s biscuits or bath salts – which can be easily transformed into a gift pouch for someone else. If you like the results a little too much, you can also keep it for yourself and fill it with jewellery or accessories:
- Trim the bag to the perfect size.
- Cut out a heart shape into a cardboard stencil, which is then laid over the material.
- Fill the shape with fabric paint.
- Cut small holes in the neck of the pouch and then thread through a ribbon through to tie the pouch shut.
Turn your wine bottle into a beautiful vase
An elegant painted vase is extremely simple to create and makes for a very frugal but attractive home decoration.
- Clean out your wine bottle with detergent and allow to dry.
- Pour 80-100 ml of paint into a bowl. You can use anything from watercolours to normal household paint – which you should dilute with a little water.
- Transfer the paint into the wine bottle in a plastic syringe, which you can buy at a local chemist.
- Rotate the bottle so that the paint covers the inside surface.
- Let the bottles dry in an upside down position for a few hours and the clean off any excess paint from the outside of the bottle.
- If you’ve used a water-based paint, add a plastic vase liner into the bottle.
- Select a few flowers and arrange in your new vase!
Turn your wicker basket into a children’s toy box
Wicker hampers create great toy boxes. They’re spacious, easily customisable and don’t have sharp corners, so are child-friendly.
- Clean the hamper with a sponge and liquid detergent to remove any dust or dirt.
- Lay down some newspaper before spraying with enamel paint.
- You can either choose a bright colour or spray a base layer to add patterns on top.
- Once the paint is dry, you can spray on further patterns using cut out animal or flower prints.
Christmas Prize Draw!
Fancy winning a tasty Christmas hamper? Find out more below…
We all know Christmas is a time for giving and receiving, a time to spend with family and loved ones. To celebrate the festive season we’ve teamed up with the amazing Hay Hampers to give you the chance of winning one of their tasty Santa Sacks Of Treats.
For a chance to win this amazing prize follow the instructions below:
- Login to Rafflecopter below using either your Facebook login or email address
- Click on ‘Tell us what would be in your ideal Christmas hamper…’
- Leave a comment in the box listing some of your ideal treats you would like to see in your hamper this Christmas
- Click enter and sit tight and wait for us to announce the lucky winner!
Good luck everyone!
Inside the Santa’s Sack of Treats you will find:
- Deep Mince Pies, Martins x 6
- Handmade Oatcrunch Apple Pie Cookies, Teoni 300g
- Belgian Chocolate Clusties, Noble Chocolates 110g
- Biscotti Cantucci with Choc Chips, Italy2eat 125g
- All Butter Shortbread, Duncans of Deeside 200g
- Hand Decorated Choc Cake, The Original Cake 250g
- Liquorice&Blackcurrant Sweets, Charles Butler 190g
- Amaretto Biscuits, Nonna Jole 90g
- Black Ceylon Tea, Basilur 25 teabags
- Wild Strawberry Infusion, Manuel 20 teabags
Terms and Conditions
- The prize draw is open to UK residents aged 18 or over, excluding employees of Royal Mail Group Limited (the “Promoter”), their immediate families, their agents, or anyone professionally connected with this prize draw.
- Entries to the prize draw must be received by 23:59 on 15th December. Entries received after this time will not be considered.
- To enter the prize draw, you must: (i) click on the link below the Parcelforce blog at http://www.blog.parcelforce.com/need-to-know/christmas-hamper-reuse; (ii) Login to Rafflecopter using either your Facebook login or email address; (iii) Click on ‘Tell us what would be in your ideal Christmas hamper…’; and (iv) Leave a comment in the box listing some of your ideal treats you would like to see in your hamper this Christmas.
- Only one entry per person. No purchase necessary. No third-party or bulk entries allowed. You are responsible for the cost (if any) of submitting your entry to this prize draw.
- The Promoter accepts no responsibility for entries that are lost, delayed, misdirected or incomplete or cannot be delivered or entered for any technical or other reason. Proof of delivery of an entry is not proof of receipt by the Promoter.
- The winner: There will be 1 winner who will be chosen by way of a random draw from all entries received in accordance with these Terms & Conditions. The draw will take place on 18th December.
- The winner will win a Christmas Hamper from Hay Hampers which will be delivered to a UK address.
- The winner will be notified by the email used to login to Rafflecopter after 18th December.
- The winner must confirm acceptance of their prize within 7 days of being notified or else the winner’s prize will be forfeited and the Promoter shall be entitled to select another winner in accordance with the process described above (and that winner will also have to respond to notification of their win within 7 days or else they will also forfeit their prize). If a winner rejects their prize or their entry is invalid or in breach of these Terms & Conditions, the winner’s prize will be forfeited and the Promoter shall be entitled to select another winner.
- The Prize will be posted to the winner within 2 business days of the winner confirming acceptance of their prize and providing a UK delivery address.
- The prize is non-exchangeable, non-transferable and there is no cash alternative.
- The Promoter reserves the right to substitute the specified prize with alternatives of equal or greater value should circumstances make this necessary.
- The decision of the Promoter regarding any aspect of the prize draw is final and binding and no correspondence will be entered into.
- The Promoter reserves the right at any time and from time to time to modify or discontinue, temporarily or permanently, this prize draw with or without prior notice due to reasons outside its reasonable control (including, without limitation, in the case of anticipated, suspected or actual fraud).
- Entry into this prize draw shall be deemed acceptance of these Terms & Conditions.
- The winner’s name and county will be made available after 14th January 2018 to those sending an SAE to Parcelforce Worldwide, Lytham House, 25 Caldecotte Lake Dr, Caldecotte, Milton Keynes MK7 8LE.
- The winner may be required to take part in promotional activity related to the prize draw and the winner shall participate in such activity on the Promoter’s reasonable request. The winner consents to the use by the Promoter and its related companies, both before and after the closing date of the prize draw for an unlimited time, of the winner’s voice, image, photograph and name for publicity purposes (in any medium, including still photographs and films, and on the internet, including any websites hosted by the Promoter and its related companies) and in advertising, marketing or promotional material without additional compensation or prior notice and, in entering the prize draw, all entrants consent to the same.
- By entering the prize draw, you agree to the collection, retention, usage and distribution of your personal information in order to process and contact you about your prize draw entry, to announce the winner’s name publicly, and for the purpose outlined in paragraph 16 above.
- The Promoter accepts no responsibility for any damage, loss, liabilities, injury or disappointment incurred or suffered by you as a result of entering the prize draw or accepting a prize. The Promoter further disclaims liability for any injury or damage to your or any other person’s computer relating to or resulting from participation in or downloading any materials in connection with the prize draw. Nothing in these Terms & Conditions shall exclude the liability of The Promoter under law for fraud or fraudulent misrepresentation, or for death or personal injury resulting from its negligence.
- The Promoter shall not be liable for any failure to comply with its obligations relating to this prize draw where the failure is caused by something outside its reasonable control. Such circumstances shall include, but not be limited to, weather conditions, fire, flood, hurricane, strike, industrial dispute, war, hostilities, political unrest, riots, civil commotion, inevitable accidents, supervening legislation or any other circumstances amounting to force majeure.
- The prize draw and these Terms & Conditions will be governed by English law and entrants to the prize draw submit to the non-exclusive jurisdiction of the English courts.
- The Promoter is Royal Mail Group Limited, 100 Victoria Embankment, London EC4Y 0HQ.